Mandatory installation of LED based lighting in all Government buildings
Ministry of Finance
Department of Expenditure
North Block, New Delhi
Dated: 4th August, 2017
Subject: Economy Measures – Mandatory installation of LED based lighting in all Government buildings – regarding
The Hon’ble Prime Minister on 5th January 2015 launched the National LED programme to facilitate rapid adoption of LED based home and street lighting across the country. The programme components, Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All (UJALA) and Street Lighting National Programme (SNLP) are under implementation in 34 States and UTs. This programme along with Building Energy Efficiency Programme (BEEP) is being implemented by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a joint venture company of four power sector Central PSUs. EESL works on Energy Services Company (ESCO) model wherein upfront investment is done by EESL and the investment is recouped on annuity basis with performance based guaranteed energy saving during the project period.
2. Pursuant to the above the Central Government has taken a decision for mandatory installation of LED based lighting and energy efficient equipments (Fans & ACs) in all Government buildings.
3. Government buildings is a major source of energy consumption. Usage of LED based lightings and energy efficient equipments in Government buildings will lead to economy in expenditure and savings in the long run through reduction in energy consumed.
4. Keeping in view the economy in expenditure and savings that will entail, all Ministries/Departments are requested to convert the existing lightings/equipments into LED based lightings and energy efficient equipments on priority utilizing the services of CPWD/EESL.
5. The model Agreement/Contract to be entered in to between the Client Ministry/Department and EESL is enclosed for reference. The Client Ministry/Department and EESL on mutual agreement can modify/amend the provisions of the model Agreement/Contract to suit their specific requirements.
6. In respect of those Government buildings maintained by CPWD but where the electricity bill is borne/paid by the respective Ministries/Departments, CPWD (as third party) will countersign the agreement to provide comfort to the Ministry/Department as well as extending help for implementing the contract.
7. Action taken in this regard be reported to Ministry of Power and Department of Expenditure by 15.08.2017 for monitoring purposes.